Competent Spousal Support & Alimony Lawyer Representing Portland, Hillsboro & Oregon City Clients

Not all divorces result in one spouse having to support the other, but a fair amount do. In Oregon, this is called spousal support or spousal maintenance, though plenty of people use the better known “alimony” term. They all mean the same thing. Whether or not a spousal support agreement will be ordered depends on the factors unique to your marriage.

Will I have to pay spousal support to my ex?

Without knowing the details of your circumstances it is impossible to say for sure if you’ll be ordered to make spousal payments, but common contributing factors include:

  • How long you were married
  • The age and health of your spouse
  • Whether or not you were the sole or primary income earner
  • Your spouse’s employment history, marketable skills, income-earning potential
  • The financial resources available to each of you
  • Child custody & support
  • The effect of spousal support on each of your taxes

Typically, spousal support is not awarded in cases of a short marriage, especially if your spouse is employable or currently employed. However, if you and your spouse have been married for decades and he or she hasn’t worked in a long time, you will likely be ordered to make support payments.

Get Legal Help

Regardless of the complexities of your case, it is in your best interest to retain a family law attorney who can help you prepare for court. We represent spouses who need spousal support, as well as those who fear having to make payments. We are here to help and you are not alone.

Lee Tyler Family Law, P.C. helps clients negotiate spousal support and alimony agreements during LGBTQ, heterosexual, and same-sex divorce cases. If you need principled legal help, contact our Portland office today at (503) 233-8868 to schedule a consultation. We represent clients in Portland, Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, Tigard, Tualatin, Gresham, Oregon City, and throughout Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties.